Why is it important to exercise our brain?
You have heard the saying if you don’t use it you lose it. That’s not only true for your muscles, it also applies to your brain.
Before I tell you why you should be exercising your brain let’s go over to what affects our brain health:
- Excess Sugar: It impairs our cognitive skills and self control. Do you recall a time when you said “I would love to stop eating that cookie or stop drinking that sugary drink but it tastes so good, I just can’t help myself?” Excess sugar has been shown to affect memory and attention.
2. Stress: Effects your brain differently, it can affect your memory, the size of your brain, etc.
3. Artificial sweeteners: Consuming high doses of artificial sweeteners has shown to affect brain function
4. High mercury containing fish such as King mackerel, marlin, orange roughy, shark, swordfish, tilefish, ahi tuna
Now let’s see why should you be exercising your brain?
- You’ve heard of neuroplasticity, it’s your brain’s ability to change, create new neural pathways, synapses.
- Improve your brains cognitive health (memory, language, judgement, intuition, etc)
- Anti-aging, need I say more?
What can you do to achieve above?
- Get a massage: Did you know that touch directly affects your brain? Massage therapy increases Oxytocin levels. Oxytocin is a hormone produced in hypothalamus. It has shown to have several benefits in depression, anxiety, GI conditions.
- Exercise: Stay active, it increases your heart rate = more oxygen to the brain.
- Eat healthy: You brain needs fuel to function properly.
- Take Supplements that support your brain health.
This is how you do it
4. B Vitamins are essential for optimal neurological & physiological functioning of your brain. For example: vitamin B12 deficiency is often manifested in the form of neurological symptoms. Fish oil improves the cell membrane in the brain, reduces oxidative stress.
3. Brain food: Nuts, seeds, eggs, fatty fish, apples are some of the best foods for your brain health
2. Brain exercises: Learn new language, go dancing, do puzzles. Try this free game
PS: And if you crave a specific food or a drink and want to stop eating/drinking there’s a simple technique that will help you to eliminate that craving for good.